Friday, May 4, 2007

Pàrtaidh Nàiseanta na h-Alba




After a Florida-like election fiasco (ah bourach!), the Scottish National Party has won the elections in Scotland.

Tony Blair's venture in Iraq has pissed off the Scots so much that they threw his Labour Party out of power in Scotland for the first time, ever!

What's more, the SNP is the independence party of Scotland, and they will now have the opportunity to hold a referendum on becoming more independent from the auld enemy or seceding outright and dissolving the union of Great Britain itself. The referendum, according to new First Minister Salmond, will occur in 2009 or 2010. That means Blair's Iraq stupidity may lead to the end of Great Britain itself.

Biggest Irony: Tuesday marked the 300th anniversary of the Act of Union, which formed Great Britain by dissolving the Scottish Parliament (they got it back in 1999).

I know it's a weird fascination for me to have. My family got kicked out of the Highlands due to brutal English land laws exploited during the "--- Clearances" (which were named after my family, should you care to Wiki it) 200 years ago. My ancestor William emigrated to America through Canada in 1806. That was a long time ago. I shouldn't care so much. But I do.

And seeing Bush's lapdog humiliated to a degree beyond anyone's predicting over this stupid war is so deeply satisfying.

No comments: